New Work

Madison T.

Madison T.

Ceramics 1 students are finishing up glazing their vessels. I am pleased with the diverse forms and surfaces. In the past, students selected one of three template forms. This year students constructed their own cardboard templates. They based their work on research of historic ceramic vessels in the Metropolitan Museum of Arts digital collection. See Blog Posts # 6 and #8 to see each student’s research and progress on the artwork. Along the way, they learned to create citations for the images they used in their blog posts.

Gabriella D.

Gabriella D.

Once everyone glazed their “What’s Inside My Head” project we had very little glaze on hand. In a windfall, Spruce Creek High School ceramics received a large donation of glazes from Amaco.  What a surprise, and good fortune! After making test tiles, students chose from a range of surface textures, translucency, and colors to apply to their vessels. (Thank you Diana!)

Crystal S.

Crystal S.

I am so proud of my students’ accomplishments, especially looking back to the first projects when smoothing small pinched forms was a challenge. It is exciting to see individuals develop a personal style, take creative risks, and demonstrate an understanding of the ceramic process.